Thursday, October 1, 2009

I have a job!

Well, many of you already know this, but the newest development in my life of late is the fact that I finally, finally have a job.

Two days a week, I am now teaching general music to all grades (K-7) at Evergreen Christian School in Bellingham. And I love it. I really love it. I come home every work day tired, but generally with more emotional energy than I went out with. Which I think is a good meter by which to say, I have a good job.

I was pretty nervous starting out, since general music with middle schoolers is notoriously hard (due to the fact that most middle schoolers have decided whether or not they like music), but my kids like me, and I like them, quite a lot. So far we have had lots of fun with rhythm, and I have discovered that a collection of music by the Trans-Siberian orchestra is enough to make me passably cool with middle schoolers, even if I am old and look young. Honestly, I have so much fun with my middle schoolers. I never thought I could have this much fun with them. But they are good kids, and, although they're full of energy, aren't any trouble at all.

And of course my younger kids are great, too, but that goes without saying. They weren't the ones I was worried about.

And my principal is amazing, and the school atmosphere is generally very relaxed, and I'm pretty sure that, come snow fall, the kids will not only be allowed to touch snow, but will be allowed to make and even throw snowballs. Did I mention I love my job?



No comments: