Friday, December 18, 2009

Christmas program!

Well, after about 2 1/2 months of preparing, my students performed their Christmas program today. I've been a part of many, many Christmas (and other) programs over the course of my lifetime, but this is the first one I've been entirely responsible for (as in, I wrote it, arranged it, ran it, and every student involved was mine). After a somewhat-hectic dress rehearsal (they always are), everything fell together just about perfectly (it always does).

Have I mentioned how much I love my job, my students, and my school? Probably. But it doesn't hurt to mention it again. After the nightmare that was my student teaching, and a year of subbing, I am still so thrilled to have students that like me. Middle school students, at that!

I think the highlight of the program for me, really, was seeing how excited everyone was this morning, seeing my students coming in smiling and bouncing off the walls and asking if it was time to go backstage yet, and could they do anything to help me, and where were their costumes, and could I look at the new props they had found last night at the last minute. It makes me know I did a good thing this semester, knowing my students loved it and were excited.

I had a lot of parents, a ton of parents actually, come up and tell me how much their children liked music, and how wonderful the program was. I had several tell me it was the best program they had seen at the school. I suppose that's a pretty good compliment, for my first year.

The other highlight was walking past the middle school to return some props the kids had forgotten, telling them Merry Christmas, and having them give me a standing ovation. Middle schoolers! The age that scares me. They aren't like kindergarteners, who just like you because they like everyone.

Okay, so I'm bragging a little. But there are days when you have to overflow with happiness, and this was one of them for me. And as pleased as I might be about what I've done this year, I am really most proud of my kids. They are great kids, all of them, and they put in good work. I look forward to many more semesters with them.

Andrew took pictures, so if any of them turn out, I will post them when they come off his camera.

No comments: